December 17, 2010

Reflection

First off I just want to say how much I enjoyed this class.  I wasn't really sure what to think when I found out that it was about vampires, but that didn't really put me off of the class either.  I thought it would actually make it more interesting and I like reading all different kinds of books as well.  What I really enjoyed though was reading the books with a class just because it really helps to bring things into perspective and hash things out.
The novel that I liked the best was probably Wuthering Heights, which actually really surprises me because I had already read the book and I did not really care for it.  That just shows that reading it with a group and having a purpose while reading the book really makes a difference.  The main reason I love this book though is because the characters are so tragically flawed.  They're so real and gritty.  It also reminds me of Jane Eyre which is my favorite book.  I also really liked I Am Legend.  I was not expecting to like it as much as I did and I especially liked the end.
I've read several vampire books before taking this class but I never really viewed it the way I do now.  It's easier to see the contrasts between the human characters and the vampires.  I also feel like I recognize the perspective and its importance to the story more.  This is actually what my final paper will be about based on the book Carmilla.
I thought the way the class was set up with the blogs what a neat idea.  For the most part it seem to work well and in a lot of ways it was much easier than using D2L.  The one part that did bother me was that you weren't notified if someone commented on your comment on someone else's blog, and it really isn't discussion friendly.  Which brings me to the class being online.  Obviously this could not be changed because that is the course we signed up for but it would have been so nice to have a face-to-face discussion with everyone because everyone seemed to have such great ideas and seemed very interested in all the readings.  I think it would have been a lot of fun.  One of my favorite classes was Womens Lit.  It wasn't necessarily books that I would read but the class discussions were great, it didn't even feel like a class.
The main reason that I really enjoyed this class though is because it is a little treat for myself in a world of business courses that I have to take.  This is my fun class and it was definitely that.

No comments:

Post a Comment